Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Peace

     My posts have been few and far between these last few weeks and I find it easier and easier with each passing day, not to take the time to share the recipes of faith, hope, and love, that have enriched my family life.  So, God has put it on my heart to step it up a bit.  It is my intent to start blogging on Tuesday and Friday of each week, in order to be more consistent and get into a routine. Since today is Wednesday, I'll begin this new schedule next week.

     Today, I'd like to share about the gift of peace that Jesus left us.  I saw a bumper sticker once that read, "No Jesus, no peace.  Know Jesus, know peace."  The peace that Jesus gives is in knowing that He is always with us.  The Truth that God is always with us brings me much comfort now.  Jesus is so alive in my heart due to daily scripture reading and receiving/adoring the Blessed Sacrament, that I think about Him throughout my entire day.  He is definitely with me and that brings me much peace.

       I equate that to how a young child desires to be in the presence of their parent/s because they feel safe.  They know from experience that their mom or dad will care for their daily needs.  Even though they know that their parents love them, seeing the parent is what gives them security.  I knew that God loved me, but it was when I started to see Jesus by experiencing Him as the source of love that was transforming my life, that I felt safe and filled with the peace of knowing that Jesus is always with me.

        Children receive the most important basic need of feeling safe from their parents. I used to think that as long as I love my children, they will know love, and peace will flow from that love. But what I have learned is that a peace-filled home depends on the love between the mom and dad.  The very first parenting seminar I ever attended was when our first-born son was 5 years old.  The presenter was a psychologist and he opened his presentation with saying that the best thing a mother can do for her children is to love their father, and the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.      

          Just as Jesus is the heart of the church, parents are the heart of the home, the domestic church.  Jesus is in the sacrament of Marriage and once I began to put my Marriage at the center of our family life rather than the children, there was peace in our home.  Our children felt secure in our love for each other.  Whenever there was conflict between my husband and me, there was no peace.  Whenever there was love between us, there was peace and the presence of Jesus.  Our children feel safe and know love when they experience the source of love that flows between mom and dad and Jesus.  Peace be with you!

       "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you."  (John 14:27)

       "And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. It is so true! I am looking forward to your regular postings!

    ReplyDelete